The honeybee, one of man’s oldest insect friends, gives us honey, beeswax and most important of all, the fertilization of many of our crop bearing plants. The honeybee is a social insect living in large colonies of from 20,000 to 80,000 individuals
Learn more about raising bees and collecting honey for fun or for profit.
- Bees have 5 eyes
- Bees fly about 20 mph
- Bees are insects, so they have 6 legs
- Male bees in the hive are called drones
- Female bees in the hive (except the queen) are called worker bees
- Losing its stinger will cause a bee to die
- Bees have been here around 30 million years!
- Bees carry pollen on their hind legs called a pollen basket or corbicula